Brandied Fruit Recipe
- 9 cups diced fruit of choice (cherries, blueberries, plums and peeled nectarines and peaches)
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 5 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 cups (or more as necessary) good-quality brandy
- In a very large bowl, combine fruit and sugars, tossing well. Cover and let macerate for 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes.
- Divide fruit among 8 sterilized pint jars or a gallon covered crock. Pour in brandy, making sure fruit is submerged. Cover and store in a cool place for at least one month. Since the brandied fruit will only improve with age, let the flavors develop for more than one month.
- Once aged, store the brandied fruit on a counter. As its contents diminish, just add more diced fruit (2 cups fruit to 1/2 cup each white and firmly packed brown sugar) and brandy to cover.