Here are a few Chocolate Facts to boost your Chocolate Cake enjoyment
- One chocolate chip can give a person enough energy to walk 150 feet.
- The cacao bean naturally contains almost 300 different flavors and 400 separate aromas.
- Commercial chocolate usually contains such low amounts of cacao solids that it is more likely the sugar that chocolate lovers are addicted to.
- Owing to the nature of cacao butter, chocolate is the only edible substance that melts at around 93° F, just below body temperature.
- There are actually zero cacao solids in white chocolate.
- The most expensive chocolate in the world is the “Madeleine” and was created by Fritz Knipschildt of Knipschildt Chocolatier in Connecticut.
- The country whose people eat the most chocolate is Switzerland, with 22 pounds eaten per person each year. The United States comes in at 11th place, with approximately 12 pounds of chocolate eaten by each person every year.
- The Catholic Church once associated chocolate with heretical behavior, including blasphemy, extortion, witchcraft and seduction.
- Mayans used chocolate in baptisms and in marriage ceremonies. It was also sometimes used in the place of blood during ceremonies.
- Research suggests that dark chocolate boosts memory, attention span, reaction time, and problem-solving skills by increasing blood flow to the brain, promotes lower blood pressure, which has positive effects on cholesterol levels, platelet function, and insulin sensitivity.
- For dark chocolate to be beneficial, cacao or chocolate liquor should be the first ingredient listed, not sugar.